turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fhearl

On my Maryland Taxes, I can exempt $5000 of military retired pay. There is no place to do so in TurboTax this year. What's up?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

On my Maryland Taxes, I can exempt $5000 of military retired pay. There is no place to do so in TurboTax this year. What's up?

You don't need to do anything if you answered the questions correctly in the Federal return.  After you enter the 1099-R in the Federal return,  you continue on and you are asked the source of the income.  You check that it's retirement from active duty military service, enter the MD amount below if it's not already there.  On the next screen you choose that it's a nonqualified pension.  The correct amount transfers to the 502SU in the state.

If you need to go back to the federal return to make changes, 

click on the Federal Taxes tab, then Wages and Income just below.  

Scroll down to retirement income and update the 1099-R section.  

Edit the 1099-R in question and go back through the interview to answer the questions.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anita01

You don't need to do anything if you answered the questions correctly in the Federal return.  After you enter the 1099-R in the Federal return,  you continue on and you are asked the source of the income.  You check that it's retirement from active duty military service, enter the MD amount below if it's not already there.  On the next screen you choose that it's a nonqualified pension.  The correct amount transfers to the 502SU in the state.

If you need to go back to the federal return to make changes, 

click on the Federal Taxes tab, then Wages and Income just below.  

Scroll down to retirement income and update the 1099-R section.  

Edit the 1099-R in question and go back through the interview to answer the questions.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies