Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

thejes

I am military, married to non military, filing jointly. IL is my state of legal residence, my wife is VA. She has no income. Does she need to file a VA state return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I am military, married to non military, filing jointly. IL is my state of legal residence, my wife is VA. She has no income. Does she need to file a VA state return?

No, she will not need to file a Virginia return.  If she has never lived with you in Illinois, and you are currently stationed in Virginia, then she is a Virginia resident.  However, if she has no income, she is below the filing threshold for Virginia.  Here is a website that discusses this:  https://www.tax.virginia.gov/who-must-file.

Since she has zero income, and paid zero Virginia tax, she is not required to file.  Your income, of course, is not taxable either in Virginia or in Illinois.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

No, she will not need to file a Virginia return.  If she has never lived with you in Illinois, and you are currently stationed in Virginia, then she is a Virginia resident.  However, if she has no income, she is below the filing threshold for Virginia.  Here is a website that discusses this:  https://www.tax.virginia.gov/who-must-file.

Since she has zero income, and paid zero Virginia tax, she is not required to file.  Your income, of course, is not taxable either in Virginia or in Illinois.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies