Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My son did basic training boot camp in georgia but is a resident of texas?

Does my son need to file a non resident tax form for georgia even though he is a resident of texas? he only went to georgia for boot camp and basic training?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

No.....he does not.

HE remains a TX resident, no matter where he is posted or trained...throughout his Military service since TX is his Home of Record.....and also his State of legal residence.  His military wages will always be considered TX income only.

He would only have to file a non-resident state tax return for some state he is posted in...only if he works a civilian job there while off-duty (Or, at some future date, ends up owning a property in some other state, that he rents out to others for extra income)

While it is possible to change a military person's State of Legal Residence (SLR) while in service....a TX resident would rarely bother to do that.....Read:

What is my military state of residence? (intuit.com)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Tanyar
Returning Member

Is home of record is still Texas so he wouldn’t have to file any sort of taxes for Georgia due to his home of record he still getting paid as if he was in Texas so no he wouldn’t

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies