turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband is in the military so I press that option it then asks about my military status when I am not in the military there is no option that says I wasn't.

Please help
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My husband is in the military so I press that option it then asks about my military status when I am not in the military there is no option that says I wasn't.

The software does not know which one of you is sitting at the keyboard.   The software will ask "you" questions based on whichever name was listed first on the tax return.   When you started your joint return, you had to enter each name.   The income screens will have spots for each of you with your names by them.  But whenever it asks a question using the word "you" it is asking as if the person named first is preparing the tax return.  Keep that in mind as you go through the screens.

And...check in My Info to make sure you did not tell the program that you were in the military.   Click edit by your own name and go through those screens again.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yeah...I just looked at the entry in the online system.

IF you are editing your own personal info.....top of the page says "Your Spouse's Personal Info"

If that is you....then you are the spouse on the tax return....the other person is referred to as the Taxpayer  (even if both pay taxes)

Then lower down,  where it asks:

"My spouse is a member or former member of the U.S. Armed Forces (active, reserve or National Guard "

it is referring to YOU, as the spouse, not the other person in the file.

so you would select NO at that point

Maybe it would be better if they asked:

"This  spouse" or "This person is a member or former member of the U.S. Armed Forces (active, reserve or National Guard"

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Like this:

MilitarySpouse.png

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies