turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

K2018

My husband is AFreserves his W2 in box 12 has P -$1600.00. We did not move. He goes to a different state for 1 month a year to do his reserve duty. Is this travel pay?

Air Force reservesist does IMA position.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

My husband is AFreserves his W2 in box 12 has P -$1600.00. We did not move. He goes to a different state for 1 month a year to do his reserve duty. Is this travel pay?

[Edited 01/24/2018 7:40 PT]

To exclude this payment from taxable income, you will have to complete Form 3903 and report the 'moving expenses' (travel costs) your husband paid during his IMA assignment, up to the amount of the reimbursement reported in Box 12. By limiting his reported costs to the amount of the reimbursement, you won't generate an additional moving expense deduction.

In the Moving Expenses interview:

• Check that "My move to the new locations was work-related";
  • Select that he was an "Employee";
  • Answer Yes to "Did you work or do you expect to work full-time for at least 39-weeks during the first 12 months after the move"  (An IMA assignment is still a 'full-time, year-round' assignment even when not on duty);
  • Enter mileage as Old Home = Civilian residence, Old Workplace = Civilian workplace), New Workplace = IMA Duty Location;
  • For Moving Expenses, enter the amount reimbursed as "Travel and Lodging for You"

(The Air Force Reserve is reimbursing your husband's 'moving expenses' to, at and from (?) his Individual Mobilization Augmentee (IMA) assignment. They are reporting the reimbursement in Box 12 of  Form W-2 using Code P ("Excludable moving expense reimbursements paid directly to employee"). An amount with code P will transfer to Line 4 of Form 3903 for moving expenses. Form 3903 can be completed for the amount of moving expenses paid by the taxpayer. If a moving expense deduction is computed, it will be reported on Line 26 of Form 1040.)

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ToddL

[Edited 01/24/2018 7:40 PT]

To exclude this payment from taxable income, you will have to complete Form 3903 and report the 'moving expenses' (travel costs) your husband paid during his IMA assignment, up to the amount of the reimbursement reported in Box 12. By limiting his reported costs to the amount of the reimbursement, you won't generate an additional moving expense deduction.

In the Moving Expenses interview:

• Check that "My move to the new locations was work-related";
  • Select that he was an "Employee";
  • Answer Yes to "Did you work or do you expect to work full-time for at least 39-weeks during the first 12 months after the move"  (An IMA assignment is still a 'full-time, year-round' assignment even when not on duty);
  • Enter mileage as Old Home = Civilian residence, Old Workplace = Civilian workplace), New Workplace = IMA Duty Location;
  • For Moving Expenses, enter the amount reimbursed as "Travel and Lodging for You"

(The Air Force Reserve is reimbursing your husband's 'moving expenses' to, at and from (?) his Individual Mobilization Augmentee (IMA) assignment. They are reporting the reimbursement in Box 12 of  Form W-2 using Code P ("Excludable moving expense reimbursements paid directly to employee"). An amount with code P will transfer to Line 4 of Form 3903 for moving expenses. Form 3903 can be completed for the amount of moving expenses paid by the taxpayer. If a moving expense deduction is computed, it will be reported on Line 26 of Form 1040.)

K2018

So I do still fill in box 12 and then when it asks what city he moved to what do I put?
K2018

Also once there is anything in that box there is a yes or no question about moving expenses. Is this where my husband would enter in his costs to travel to his IMA position or no because they list the amount in box 12?
ToddL

See the updated answer. It is 'travel pay', but the way the Air Force reports it on Form W-2 requires that you complete a Form 3903 to exclude the payment from income. This is a special case for Form 3903, so you should limit the amount of your claimed expenses to the amount of the reimbursement in Box 12, with Code P.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies