Moving tax files from Online to desktop

I am trying to move my 2019 federal tax return from Online to desktop - you are supposed to be able to do this by saving as a .tax file and then opening in the desktop version. However since I am trying to open a .tax2019 file, there is no option for that in the desktop software- just .tax2018 and I get a file corrupt message each time.

I need to move the file because we filed federal jointly and need to file states as individuals since we have different states as our home of record, and the online version is not capable of doing this.  And by moving our Federal I can then use the info to do our States separately.

Moving tax files from Online to desktop

If you are using the 2019 Download/CD software, make sure you are using the command "File>>Open Tax Return" on the top menu.  Then, when you get the pop-up, find the ".tax2019" file you have saved on your computer.

Moving tax files from Online to desktop

Yes, that is what I am doing, and I am getting an error.