turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Military W2 says "see intructions" for lines 12 and 14

There are no instructions attached. What do i put in these lines?
Thanks to anybody who can help!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The instructions are used only if there are actual codes and $$ amounts on lines 12 or 14.

IF you have any actual Codes and $$ amounts on your paper W-2 for box 12 (or 14), then those need to be entered on the software W-2 form too.

Example: say you had box 12 entries

code D and $2000, and a code Q and $25,000.

You should look at the instructions and see that:

......the D $2000 was for your contributions to a TSP (that's the govt equivalent to a 401k plan)...that isn't being taxed

......the Q 25,000 means that you had $25,000 of income while in a Combat zone that also isn't being taxed.

You need to make those entries into the software...IF they are on your paper form.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

3 Replies

The instructions are used only if there are actual codes and $$ amounts on lines 12 or 14.

IF you have any actual Codes and $$ amounts on your paper W-2 for box 12 (or 14), then those need to be entered on the software W-2 form too.

Example: say you had box 12 entries

code D and $2000, and a code Q and $25,000.

You should look at the instructions and see that:

......the D $2000 was for your contributions to a TSP (that's the govt equivalent to a 401k plan)...that isn't being taxed

......the Q 25,000 means that you had $25,000 of income while in a Combat zone that also isn't being taxed.

You need to make those entries into the software...IF they are on your paper form.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

the instructions tend to be on the back of your paper W-2 forms.
but heres's one set:

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899457-what-do-all-the-letter-codes-in-box-12-of-my-w-2-mean">htt...>
0r1on

Mine said the same thing, I just left those blank because they didn't really apply to me and there weren't actually any instructions on the DFAS website for it either.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies