Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

des70002

LA exempts military retirement. TurboTax tells me to "Enter your exempt military pay separately on a previous screen." It doesn't give a clue as to WHAT screen, or WHERE.

Every time I complete the Louisiana return, the military retirement is STILL shown as taxable income.  In years past I have not had the problem with TurboTax.  My wife has USAF and Federal DEA retirement income.  I've been fighting this all afternoon.  NEVER had this much trouble with TurboTax before.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

LA exempts military retirement. TurboTax tells me to "Enter your exempt military pay separately on a previous screen." It doesn't give a clue as to WHAT screen, or WHERE.

You are correct, it is exempt. Follow these steps:

1. Open your return
  2. Go into the LA state program
  3. continue to Any Other Income Exclusions?
  4. Select 10E for military 
  5. enter the amount
  6. 04E for federal retirement benefits.
  7. enter the amount
  8. continue through program

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
AbitaOma

i have tried to do this and it keeps deleting my exempt retirement pay because it claims it has already made the adjustment from the import of data from my federal return, but it has not done that as evidenced by the AGI listed on the form view of the software.  

AbitaOma

did you ever get this to work for you?  i am having the same problem with this tax year (although it worked okay for me in 2023)  thanks for your reply

BillM223
Expert Alumni

The way this works for most states, is that after you enter the data on your 1099-R in the federal return, IF you had already indicated that you lived in Louisiana, then the next screen would ask you for the source of the pension - this allows TurboTax to determine if the pension is taxable at the state level. You should identify the source of the pension here.

"i have tried to do this and it keeps deleting my exempt retirement pay because it claims it has already made the adjustment from the import of data from my federal return," - This sounds like you already marked the source on the federal return (i.e., the 1099-R interview).

"but it has not done that as evidenced by the AGI listed on the form view of the software.  " - which AGI? the federal AGI? the pension amount is supposed to be there. Or are you talking about the state AGI?

@AbitaOma 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
AbitaOma

Thanks this fixed my issue

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies