Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was living in military barracks in 2014, does this mean I was paying less than half of my living expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I was living in military barracks in 2014, does this mean I was paying less than half of my living expenses?

it doesn't necessarily mean anything. Why do you ask the question? What are you trying to determine? Did you pay anything for living in military barracks? Please explain fully what your situation is.

I did not have to pay to live in the barracks, but my paycheck was less each month while I was living there. I was wondering because one of the questions while going through the forms asked me if I paid less than half of my living expenses.

I don't believe so. The purpose of the question is to determine if someone else can claim you as a dependent. Your living expenses are taken care of in exchange for your work for the military, so you're not a dependent. I also was living in the barracks for a majority of the year and I said I had answered that I provided more than half of my support.

Carl
Level 15

At least you are not interpreting the question backwards. Having been AD MIL myself, I can tell you that you do NOT provide less than half of your living expenses. You provide MORE than half of your living expenses - even if you have a meal card too.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies