Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm currently in the military and stationed overseas. During off hours, I play semi professional basketball. If I make money will that need to be filled on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm currently in the military and stationed overseas. During off hours, I play semi professional basketball. If I make money will that need to be filled on my taxes?

Yes.  The IRS taxes worldwide income, so anything you earn while a US citizen is subject to US tax.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Yes.  The IRS taxes worldwide income, so anything you earn while a US citizen is subject to US tax.

Thank you. Do you know where I would fill it if I didn't receive any tax forms?

You're going to report it as Foreign Income and see if you qualify to exclude any of it for 2017.  To do that, follow the interview steps:  To report Foreign Earned Income and Exclusions:
1.  Click Federal on the left-hand side menu.
2.  Click Income across the top.
3.  Scroll down to Less Common Income and click Show more.
4.  Click Start or Revisit by Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies