turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am in College and in the Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps (NROTC). I draw a stipend from the US Navy every month, do I claim myself as a reservist?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

I am in College and in the Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps (NROTC). I draw a stipend from the US Navy every month, do I claim myself as a reservist?

The answer to your exact question is no; for income tax purposes you should not indicate that you are in the US Naval Reserve (i.e., a reservist).  The ROTC, or Reserve Officers Training Corp, is in a different classification all its own.  In fact, according to the Department of Defense, ROTC cadets are not considered active military (or inactive, or reserve) until after they have completed their college program and taken an oath to either active duty, or at their reserve / guard unit.

Obviously, however, your status and circumstances will change after graduation.  However, for now, please do not indicate in TurboTax that you are in the military reserves.

It may additionally interest to know the following.  ROTC Student Subsistence allowances, paid to ROTC students participating in advanced training, are not considered taxable income, and thus don't need to be reported on any tax return.  However, certain pay received during summer advanced camp, or similar, is taxable.

Thank you for asking this important question, and good luck with your program of study.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies