Bonjing

I am active duty military stationed overseas half of the tax year and then now currently in IL. do i still need to pay CA state tax? I own a house in CA.

I was stationed overseas for half a year and the other half in IL. Do i need to still file a CA state tax?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TomD8

If California was your state of residence when you entered the service, their rule is that you became a non-resident for tax purposes when you left California under PCS orders.

That means you only have to file a CA return if you had CA-source income during 2016.  For example, if you rented out your CA home, the rental income would be CA-source income and you'd have to file a CA non-resident return.

But if you had no CA-source income in 2016, you do not have to file a CA tax return.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2016/16_1032.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.