Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am active duty military and trying to figure out how to file NYS taxes through turbotax. I know I shouldn't have to pay NYS taxes but how do I enter this info properly?

I claim NY residency but haven't lived in NY in almost a decade due to military orders.  I can not figure out how to file through turbotax without having an underpayment charge of nearly $1000. When I file as non resident, im being prompted to fill in a specific data entry before I can finish. TurboTax asks for NYS Subs - Code S-119. I don't know what I should be entering here?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I am active duty military and trying to figure out how to file NYS taxes through turbotax. I know I shouldn't have to pay NYS taxes but how do I enter this info properly?

NYS Subs - Code S-119 is a request for the type of subtraction of income from New York taxable income you are claiming.  This is your military wage.  As you work through your New York state return:

• On the  We've Recommended a Residency Status screen click Change Residency and choose Non-Resident.
  • When you get to the New York Income Allocation screen, choose No, then on the next screen Your Form W-2 Summary click Done
  • Continue through to the screen titled Changes to Federal Income.  
  • Click Start next to Received military pay
  • On the Military Pay screen enter your federal and nonresident NY military wages (W-2 Box 1)
King618

What do I put for a-119 NY state allocated amount above block?? Very confused thank you!

TomD8
Level 15

New York Code A-119 is for alimony received.  See page 7 of this reference:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/it/it225i.pdf

New York Code S-119 is for military pay.  See page 11 of the same reference.

A= Addition

S= Subtraction

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies