Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a retired military service member residing in North Carolina. Do I have to file a state return?

Also, my only income is my retirement pay. Thanks.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

I am a retired military service member residing in North Carolina. Do I have to file a state return?

Maybe. If your gross incomes exceeds the filing requirements, you will need to file a return. See filing requirement chart here. Then you would claim the uniformed service retirement deduction. For full details see NC instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Please see the instructions for line 20 in the NC Instructions.

I suspect that what will happen is when you enter your 1099-R for the pension, that when TurboTax sees that you are a NC resident, that it will ask (right after you enter the 1099-R numbers), it will ask you about the source of the pension (military or not).

Just pay attention to the questions, because I believe that TurboTax will take care of this...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Maybe. If your gross incomes exceeds the filing requirements, you will need to file a return. See filing requirement chart here. Then you would claim the uniformed service retirement deduction. For full details see NC instructions.

Do I deduct the entire taxable amount on my 1099R?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Please see the instructions for line 20 in the NC Instructions.

I suspect that what will happen is when you enter your 1099-R for the pension, that when TurboTax sees that you are a NC resident, that it will ask (right after you enter the 1099-R numbers), it will ask you about the source of the pension (military or not).

Just pay attention to the questions, because I believe that TurboTax will take care of this...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies