bencoffman

I am a military member stationed overseas. I am a KS resident, and my wife is an AZ resident. We file jointly. Should all my taxes be refunded, as TurboTax calculates?

I just want to make sure I am filling out my taxes correctly. I am a KS resident, currently stationed overseas on military orders. I was stationed here all of 2016. I am married and filing jointly with my wife, who is an AZ resident. I understand that i must file as a nonresident, but when TurboTax calculates our state income tax, it shows that all of it should be refunded. Does this make sense, and am I inputting my information correctly?

MargaretL

You should file a Resident tax return for Kansas, if that is your home of record. In TurboTax, when going through Personal Info section, be sure to select that you a member of U.S. Armed Forces and select Kansas in the Tell us the state(s) you live in section.

As a member of a military,  your resident state is your state of legal residency (SLR). Your SLR is usually your home of record – the state recorded by the military as your home when you joined the military.

Your SLR state is considered your resident state as long as you are on active duty. Even if you are stationed in another state, you’re still considered a resident of your SLR state.

If your military home of record is Kansas, and you have not established residency in another state, you are a Kansas resident. All income, including military compensation, is subject to Kansas income tax.

For more information, please refer to the link below:

http://www.ksrevenue.org/faqs-taxii.html#military