turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cwalters

I am a member or former member of the U.S. Armed Forces (active, reserve or National Guard). If I am a veteran, do I mark this 'yes'

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AnnS7

I am a member or former member of the U.S. Armed Forces (active, reserve or National Guard). If I am a veteran, do I mark this 'yes'

Yes. If you are a veteran, you can answer "Yes" to I am a member or former member of the U.S. Armed Forces (active, reserve or National Guard)  on the Your personal info screen. 

On the following screen titled "What was your military status as of December 31, 2016?" you can indicate Former member (retired, veteran, etc.).

I have a problem with this, as a retired veteran I click yes here and then turbotax assumes I'm active and have a w2 to provide saying the 59.99 fee will be covered and later when I do not have a DFAS w2 to provide makes me feel bad for clicking the box. If you are going to make a distinguishment between the service you provide to veterans AND active duty please stop lumping as all in the same check box. Two years in a row this has irritated me.
j_hogan44

Yes, and I was active Duty during that time.. I am a veteran now.. When it later asks for the W-2 and I choose no it says "Ohh, earlier you said you were actively serving in the military, discount doesn't apply to you..." It's just annoying and makes you think you clicked something wrong.

Yep...a more accurate question would something like:

"Were you on active military duty at any time during 2022, and have a DFAS W-2 for that service?"

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies