Solved: How do I report an military re-enlistement bonus?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I report an military re-enlistement bonus?

I was told that I needed to report it, but if I don't see it on my W-2 nor received any other paperwork for it other than the money flowing into my checking's account, how would I go about reporting the half bonus that I received this year?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Re-enlistment bonuses are taxed like regular income and are typically added in with your regular wages and reported on the same W-2.   You will also have taxes automatically withheld from your bonus, generally at the 25% or 28% rate. This is automatically done by the government, and not something you can change. If the withholding is too high for your tax bracket, then you will likely receive a larger than normal refund the following year.

Did you happen to be in a combat or tax-free zone when you re-enlisted?   This would make your re-enlistment bonus tax-free.  

You can check with your MyPay account to verify a second W-2 was issued.

If you're unsure if you're W-2 is reporting your re-enlistment bonus correctly, before filing, go speak with your finance office to verify.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Re-enlistment bonuses are taxed like regular income and are typically added in with your regular wages and reported on the same W-2.   You will also have taxes automatically withheld from your bonus, generally at the 25% or 28% rate. This is automatically done by the government, and not something you can change. If the withholding is too high for your tax bracket, then you will likely receive a larger than normal refund the following year.

Did you happen to be in a combat or tax-free zone when you re-enlisted?   This would make your re-enlistment bonus tax-free.  

You can check with your MyPay account to verify a second W-2 was issued.

If you're unsure if you're W-2 is reporting your re-enlistment bonus correctly, before filing, go speak with your finance office to verify.

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings