turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does my wife qualify for the military spouses residency relief act? Domicile = CA. In KS on orders. Spouse worked remotely for employer located in CA.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
BarbL
Employee Tax Expert

Does my wife qualify for the military spouses residency relief act? Domicile = CA. In KS on orders. Spouse worked remotely for employer located in CA.

In order to qualify, you must both have the same resident state - your post wasn't quite clear on that.  Under the Military Spouse Residency Relief Act (MSRRA), a military spouse may be exempt from filing and paying taxes to a non-resident state.  In order to qualify for the exemption, all of the following must be true:

1. You are both legal residents of the same state;
  2. You are serving in a non-resident state in compliance with military orders; and
  3. Your spouse is residing in the same non-resident state solely to be with you. 

The MSRRA exemption applies to wages, salaries, and self-employment income earned for services performed in the non-resident state.  This income would instead be taxed by your home state.

If you are both California residents, the income she earned in Kansas is considered California income for tax purposes.  (Even though the employer is based in California, her work was performed in Kansas, so it is treated as if she worked outside the state.) 

The State of California grants non-resident status to military members and spouses when stationed out of state, and does not tax income earned while out of state on military orders.  If you received unearned income (interest, dividends, etc.) or other California-source income (rental property, etc.), you will file a California return to report that income only.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Does that change if they just got married, she is still in the non-resident state on the military members orders, but her legal resident state is different than his?

The MSRRA  changed recently ...  you no longer have to establish a residency in the military member's SLR to take the same resident state ... the moment you marry you can take the military member's SLR for the entire tax year. https://www.moaa.org/content/publications-and-media/news-articles/2019-news-articles/advocacy/FAQ--N...

Manage cookies