turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do i file a state return in Missouri if its not my home of records while I am active duty military but I sold a house in that state I made way under the 250,000 mark

it was closer to 50 thousand. Montana is my home of records not Missouri, I was just there for my military service
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

Do i file a state return in Missouri if its not my home of records while I am active duty military but I sold a house in that state I made way under the 250,000 mark

No - If this is the sale of your primary residence and you meet the IRS home gain exclusion (and you did not receive a 1099-S for the sale), you will not report this sale on your federal or any state tax return.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you need to file a nonresident return to report the home sale in Missouri.   See the link for instructions.    If you are able to exclude the gain on your federal return, you may not need to file the Missouri return.   See the links below.   Members of the military have special rules for excluding capital gains tax on home sales.   TurboTax will handle the exclusion, just make sure your military information is included in the personal section.  

Generally, you’ll need to file a nonresident state return if you made money from sources in a state you don’t live in.   Some examples are:

• Wages or income you earned while working in that state
  • Out-of-state rental income, gambling winnings, or profits from property sales
  • S Corporation or partnership income
  • Beneficiary income from a trust or estate
  • For active-duty military: non-military income earned outside your state of legal residence
  • If your employer withheld taxes for the wrong state

Home Sale Capital Gain Exclusion 

Military Extension of Capital Gain Exclusion - Details are in this link

Military Family Tax Benefits - IRS

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies