turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Active Military living in NC working in VA - confused on the "WHERE STATIONED" questioned

Active Military living in NC working in VA - In the Personal Info section, under Other State income TT header question is "WHERE STATIONED"  but then says 'Select all states where you lived in 2022, including states you live in due to a Permanent Change of Station''.  So do I select both the state stationed in and lived in?  Or just the state lived in?

Makes it very confusing!  Why wouldn't it ask where stationed and let me answer  VA  then ask select the state(s) lived in for 2022  NC 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MichaelG81
Expert Alumni

Active Military living in NC working in VA - confused on the "WHERE STATIONED" questioned

Yes, please select all states lived in 2022.

@whyme940 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for replying, but your answer doesn't answer the portion of my question where TT asks WHERE STATIONED and then jumps to LIST ALL STATES LIVED IN without allowing you to answer the stationed question first........    If I just answer the part for states lived in it would only be NC.  If that is the case, why is TT asking Where Stationed - which would be VA???

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

The TurboTax questions are to determine which state taxes you have to file.  The majority of military live in the state where they are stationed.  If you had compensation in North Carolina outside your active duty pay, select it as a state- otherwise, just select Virginia as if you lived/worked in Virginia.  Your active duty pay is taxed (if at all) by your Home of Record, but if you earn other money, you may have to file a nonresident state tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

What state do your PCS orders assign you to? That's where you're stationed. I know many folks that are stationed in D.C, but they live in Maryland, while their HOR is yet another state. If you have any non-military income earned from the state where you're stationed, and/or the state where you live, then the program needs to know this, as you "may" be required to file a non-resident tax return in whichever state you made income in from non-military sources. (Such as working a side job somewhere, or starting your own business.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies