Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Greg5040

1099R Military pension

Turbotax for 2022 is reporting my military retirement amount incorrectly on line 4b as an IRA distribution, then again correctly on line 5b as a pension. Both lines refer back to the same 1099R from DFAS. I've been on the phone twice with Intuit reps, and no one can figure out what's going on. The first cust rep said it was a "known issue" with the program, but gave no time-frame for resolution, nor any kind of workaround. The second call was dropped after about 25 minutes, with no resolution. Any other military retirees having this issue? Intuit, can you help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

1099R Military pension

Try deleting your 1099R and then re enter again. Go to o report,  Go to  Federal> Wages and Income>Retirement Plans and Social Security>IRA  401 k) Pension Plan Withdrawals to delete your 1099R by selecting the trash can icon.

Then re-enter your 1099R.  Make sure you don't check the box between lines 7 & 8 indicating this is a IRA/Sep/Simple. ple.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Greg5040

1099R Military pension

I did that, made sure the IRA box wasn't checked, and it still double reports the income as an IRA distribution and as a pension. Thanks for the idea though

AmyC
Expert Alumni

1099R Military pension

You should not be having the issue. There is a known issue with the 1099-R and box 5 related to an IRA. Somehow, your program has decided to add you wrongfully.

A full or corrupted cache can cause problems in TurboTax, so sometimes you need to clear your cache (that is, remove these temporary files).

For stuck information follow these steps:

1. Delete the form 1099-R, see How to Delete  
  2. Log out of your return and try one or more of the following:
    • Don't use Internet Explorer.
    • Clear cache and cookies,
    • Sign in using a different browser.
    • Sign in using a different device.
  3. Log back into your return.
    • Enter the form 1099-R again.

Thank you for your service.

Greg5040

1099R Military pension

AmyC I'm using the desktop version, so browsers don't make any difference. Is there a cache for the desktop version that I can delete?

1099R Military pension

The only thing I can think of is to ...In Forms Mode....make sure you delete every 1099-R form you have listed in the left-side window...then see what's in 4b and 5b before re-entering it.

And don't use Forms Mode for your actual 1099-R re-entry...use the Interview for that.

______

Beyond that, only a Diagnostic File could be used to troubleshoot it from the TTX Support end.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Greg5040

1099R Military pension

Thanks Steamtrain, but I have only one 1099R, the military retirement one in question. 3 different customer reps have not been able to resolve this issue, so I think I'm done with Turbotax and am going to start over again with a different program. Intuit, you just lost a customer!

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

1099R Military pension

It would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2022" file that is experiencing this issue. You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information. If you would like to do this, here are the instructions for TurboTax Download:

1. On your menu bar at the very top, click "Online"
  2. Select "Send Tax File to Agent"  
  3. Click "Send"
  4. The pop-up will have a token number
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

@Greg5040 

TomD8
Level 15

1099R Military pension

Make sure the Distribution Code in Box 7 of your 1099-R is a "7".

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies