Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

buddychan

Why isn't my rental property purchase in state of WA last year being depreciated? Turbo Tax shows as 0 depreciation for the next 27 1/2 years?

I purchased the condo for $155K on Oct. 1, 2017 and it was already rented out by the previous owner.  I did not leave there and I did not spend any money remodeling.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Why isn't my rental property purchase in state of WA last year being depreciated? Turbo Tax shows as 0 depreciation for the next 27 1/2 years?

You would need to go through the entire Rental Section to set up the details for your property. Under the Sale/Depreciation section you will enter information regarding the depreciation. (See the attached screenshots below. Click to enlarge.)

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

You would need to go through the entire Rental Section to set up the details for your property. Under the Sale/Depreciation section you will enter information regarding the depreciation. (See the attached screenshots below. Click to enlarge.)

buddychan

Thanks but I am not seeing those screenshots.  I will take another look when I get home
buddychan

Hi TaxColeen - I had alot more questions to answer, but when I put the land value as 0, it depreciated the entire purchase amount to be depreciated over 27 1/2 years.  Should the condo land value be 0, or where do I go to find it?  Thanks.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes. The land value is zero if there is no land attached. For a condo, this is probably correct. The condo itself will be depreciated over 27.5 years.

Property typically doesn't depreciate because it doesn't lose value over time. (Housing bubble excepted)

buddychan

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/060815/how-rental-property-depreciation-works.asp">h...>

This article states it does and my friend told me it does.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Your article is correct.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies