Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bigal947

As a non-resident of CA we have a rental there that yielded $3,500. Do I have to file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

As a non-resident of CA we have a rental there that yielded $3,500. Do I have to file?

You are required to file a Nonresident or Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return (Long or Short Form 540NR) with California if you have income from California sources, such as rental income, income from the sale of property, or partnership income in 2018 and you are:

• Single with a total income from all sources of $17,693 or more
  • Married with joint income from all sources of $35,388 or more

Get more information for nonresidents.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

You are required to file a Nonresident or Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return (Long or Short Form 540NR) with California if you have income from California sources, such as rental income, income from the sale of property, or partnership income in 2018 and you are:

• Single with a total income from all sources of $17,693 or more
  • Married with joint income from all sources of $35,388 or more

Get more information for nonresidents.

CA_NR
Returning Member

Hi,

I am CA NR and am confused as to what to enter for the CA 540NR for rental income?

I am a TX resident and though I made $15K in rental net income from my rentals in CA, my Federal adjusted rental income is 0 (i guess due to QBI and other loss carryovers). So for the CA tax purposes should I use "0" for my rental income or use $15K? tempted to use $0, to avoid paying CA taxes for the $15K. Any advice asap? Happy to provide any further info. Federal AGI joint filing is $250K.

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies