turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

olegred

Capital gains calculation

Hi. So, to make a house downpayment we sold about $140k of mutual fund shares. This generated about $37k of gain. Is this amount calculated as part of my overall income? If not, how do I make sure that it is taxed on lower (15% apparently) bracket. Married. Filing jointly. Total income is about $140k. Thanks a lot
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

The capital gains calculation for your mutual fund shares will depend on how long you held the shares. Long-term rates are 15% for most tax brackets. Short-term rates apply tax at your regular tax rate.

You can see the calculation on Schedule D Tax worksheet. You won't be able to view the schedule/worksheets until you pay for the software.

See calculator below.

http://www.moneychimp.com/features/capgain.htm

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

The capital gains calculation for your mutual fund shares will depend on how long you held the shares. Long-term rates are 15% for most tax brackets. Short-term rates apply tax at your regular tax rate.

You can see the calculation on Schedule D Tax worksheet. You won't be able to view the schedule/worksheets until you pay for the software.

See calculator below.

http://www.moneychimp.com/features/capgain.htm

olegred

So, after I pay for software and before I file I can check schedule D? I am pretty sure all my shares were bought more than a year ago. I just transfered the I fo automatically from Vanguard.
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you will be able to print/preview/save your return before you file, after payment.

Where do I find capital gains

Where do I find capital gains in your program?

Capital gains, losses, and 1099-B forms are all entered in the same place:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax if it isn't already open.
  2. Search for investment sales and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to the question Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds or other investments?
    • If you land on the Here's the investment sales we have so far screen, select Add More Sales.
  4. Following the instructions and we'll calculate the gain or loss from the sale.

Your total capital gains for the year minus your total capital losses result in a net gain or a net loss.

You can deduct a net loss of up to $3,000 ($1,500 if married filing separately). Any capital loss you couldn't deduct this year can be carried forward and deducted on future tax returns as a capital loss carryover.

@213457654 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies