turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shs66147

Why are my capital gains showing on line 13 on Schedule D but not on lines 8a or 9 on same form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why are my capital gains showing on line 13 on Schedule D but not on lines 8a or 9 on same form?

Line 13 represents Capital Gains Distributions.  The amount flows from Form 1099-DIV Box 2a

These amounts would not be reflected on Line 8a or 9.

The screenshots below, while taken in the CD/Download software, show how the amount reported on a Form 1099-DIV flows to the Schedule D.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Line 13 represents Capital Gains Distributions.  The amount flows from Form 1099-DIV Box 2a

These amounts would not be reflected on Line 8a or 9.

The screenshots below, while taken in the CD/Download software, show how the amount reported on a Form 1099-DIV flows to the Schedule D.

shs66147

Thank you.  So in other words, these are reflective of passive capital gains coming from mutual funds as opposed to if I directly sold stock?
shs66147

Thank you.  So in other words, these are reflective of passive capital gains coming from mutual funds as opposed to if I directly sold stock?

Yes, that is the case.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies