Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

With new tax law--how do I continue to claim the depreciation on my rental? Is it just new assets that are expensed--and basis of home, etc still depreciated the old way?

The TurboTax answers I've seen on depreciated are pre-Trump tax law.  I've depreciated the single-family home over 27.5 years, and some appliances over (I think) 7 years.  So I need to know how to handle that depreciation from before.  Also, I installed a new deck for $3500 in 2018--do I expense that (with the deminimus thing) or do I do the 27.5-year depreciation on the deck?  Thanks so much!  I've tried to do some homework on this, and still don't get it.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

With new tax law--how do I continue to claim the depreciation on my rental? Is it just new assets that are expensed--and basis of home, etc still depreciated the old way?

The new tax law changed nothing with regard to depreciation of rental property, so continue as before.  With regard to the deck, $3500 is not deminimus, so should be depreciated over 27.5 years.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The new tax law changed nothing with regard to depreciation of rental property, so continue as before.  With regard to the deck, $3500 is not deminimus, so should be depreciated over 27.5 years.

Here is a link to a helpful IRS Publication:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p527.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p527.pdf</a>
You will note on page 5 that the IRS considers a deck as an addition.
Then on page 9, depreciation recovery periods are discussed and you will note the discussion on additions or improvements.
My only suggestion with regards to page 9, is if you do have some roof replacement, I recommend you consult with a tax professional as this is not always something that needs to be capitalized and depreciated.
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies