turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tayvmai

Will buying more stock reset my long term capital gains date?

For example, i buy 100 stocks on April 1, 2014, then buy another 100 stocks on June 1, 2014. On April 3, 2015, if i decide to sell all my 200 stocks, will i incur a short term capital gains tax, a short term capital gains tax, or will it be split? 

What if I decide to sell only 199 of my stocks?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Each purchase lot is handled separately. In your example, you will have a long-term gain on the shares you purchased on April 1, 2014, and a short-term gain on the shares you purchased on June 1, 2014. The sale will be reported as two separate transactions.

If you don't sell all the shares you own, the assumption is that you sold the oldest shares first ("first in, first out," or FIFO). You can modify that assumption by telling the broker which shares to sell at the time you place the order. The broker has to send you an acknowledgement. Some brokers might not accept instructions to sell specific shares.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Each purchase lot is handled separately. In your example, you will have a long-term gain on the shares you purchased on April 1, 2014, and a short-term gain on the shares you purchased on June 1, 2014. The sale will be reported as two separate transactions.

If you don't sell all the shares you own, the assumption is that you sold the oldest shares first ("first in, first out," or FIFO). You can modify that assumption by telling the broker which shares to sell at the time you place the order. The broker has to send you an acknowledgement. Some brokers might not accept instructions to sell specific shares.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies