Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where to enter non taxable income?

Hello,

I was on short term disability but was told it was not taxable. I also had to rent out my home since I was on disability and needed the extra income. I received a security deposit for the rental which I was also told was not taxable. Where do I enter non taxable income? Coz if the IRS looks at my bank account they will see the money coming in so I want to be able to mention that in my tax return and mark it as non taxable so they know what it is.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

you don't enter these types of nontaxable income anywhere on your 1040.  look at this from the IRS perspective you say that you have nontaxable income. how can the IRS be sure you are not lying and why are you mentioning this. could create the can of worms you are trying to avoid. should the IRS audit and asks about certain deposits you can show the the insurance contract and whatever else you get from the insurance company. if you have a written lease then that would have the security deposit, if not written then you will probably have issued a refund check by the year the IRS does the audit.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

The home rental is reported on Schedule E. The security deposit does not have to be entered in Schedule E, but it is supposed to be placed in a separate interest-bearing bank account.

Please see this TurboTax help article about Schedule E.

@karmic_caboodle 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

thats not right, you report all income,

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies