turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where can I enter the withholding from my ISO stock sales?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@yates2esmedina 

You probably don't need to enter the withholding from your ISO stock sale.  If this was a Disqualifying Disposition then the compensation created by the sale and the taxes withheld should already be included in your W-2.  While the compensation is typically disclosed to you in Box 14 the taxes withheld, scattered around the various "tax" boxes of the W-2, are not.  Ask your payroll department if you're unsure.

There's really only one situation where the broker would withhold the taxes - disclosed to you on the 1099-B - and that's the situation where you either failed to give the broker  a W-9, or did provide the W-9 which indicated you were subject to "backup withholding."  In that case, when you're entering the 1099-B, click on the blue "I'll enter additional info on my own" button and those tax boxes will be available to you.

Finally, if you think that you need to enter taxes withheld because when you enter the sale the "Refund-O-Meter" at the top of the screen shows a big increase in taxes owed or a big reduction in your refund, that could be because you're using the wrong basis for the stocks sold.  Your basis isn't what you paid for the stock you sold, the basis is increased by the compensation created by the sale.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

@yates2esmedina 

You probably don't need to enter the withholding from your ISO stock sale.  If this was a Disqualifying Disposition then the compensation created by the sale and the taxes withheld should already be included in your W-2.  While the compensation is typically disclosed to you in Box 14 the taxes withheld, scattered around the various "tax" boxes of the W-2, are not.  Ask your payroll department if you're unsure.

There's really only one situation where the broker would withhold the taxes - disclosed to you on the 1099-B - and that's the situation where you either failed to give the broker  a W-9, or did provide the W-9 which indicated you were subject to "backup withholding."  In that case, when you're entering the 1099-B, click on the blue "I'll enter additional info on my own" button and those tax boxes will be available to you.

Finally, if you think that you need to enter taxes withheld because when you enter the sale the "Refund-O-Meter" at the top of the screen shows a big increase in taxes owed or a big reduction in your refund, that could be because you're using the wrong basis for the stocks sold.  Your basis isn't what you paid for the stock you sold, the basis is increased by the compensation created by the sale.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies