turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in mass and sold 19k on eBay not as a business. Some stuff was never used and some of it was used, do I have to report it as income? Why?

Some of the items were new and some were sold used, and for less than what we paid originally.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

I live in mass and sold 19k on eBay not as a business. Some stuff was never used and some of it was used, do I have to report it as income? Why?

When you sell personal property items from for less than their original cost, you don't need to report income on your tax return, even if you've received a Form 1099-K from Ebay.

If you sold them for more than their original cost, you'll need to report the capital gain.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

When you sell personal property items from for less than their original cost, you don't need to report income on your tax return, even if you've received a Form 1099-K from Ebay.

If you sold them for more than their original cost, you'll need to report the capital gain.

So would I report the gain minus deductions such as fees and shipping? Do I also deduct the items that were not sold for more than what I paid?
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

Hi, Jenny.  Yes... if you sold an item for $15 that cost you $10, and shipping was $3, you'd report $2 of income -- $15 minus ($10 + $3).  You wouldn't need to report items that sold for less than what you paid.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies