turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jancie54

Gifted stock sale

Sold stock for the first time and the 1099-B breaks down the sale into about 30 segments - do I have to report each one of these in order to get the profits and loss for the total?  If I report just the total figure on the 1099, I believe I will miss out on which stocks were sold at a loss.  Does Turbotax allow me to input this many stock sales with only one 1099? 

As you might tell, I'm not looking forward to this.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Gifted stock sale

When you say segments, I believe you mean that you made about 30 trades. You really need to input each one. I hope the broker has given you all the information you need. Each trade could or might be a little different. The dates bought and sold on each will determine short or long term. The broker will also tell you if the cost data was or was not report  to the IRS. The is represented by the Yes and No designations.Put each one in and take your time. When done, the TT software will put all of the trades in the correct schedule.I know it looks difficult the first time, but once you work through it, it won't seem too bad. Yes TT allows you to input a lot more than you have.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Gifted stock sale

When you say segments, I believe you mean that you made about 30 trades. You really need to input each one. I hope the broker has given you all the information you need. Each trade could or might be a little different. The dates bought and sold on each will determine short or long term. The broker will also tell you if the cost data was or was not report  to the IRS. The is represented by the Yes and No designations.Put each one in and take your time. When done, the TT software will put all of the trades in the correct schedule.I know it looks difficult the first time, but once you work through it, it won't seem too bad. Yes TT allows you to input a lot more than you have.

jancie54

Gifted stock sale

Thanks very much!!!   My son's statement is very comprehensive, listing the dates and the amount of stock sold for that date - and I was able to find the stock history so that was fine.  Unfortunately, when I transferred the stock into my ownership with TOD designation, that's the only date the broker put on my statement so even though I have been buying the stock for about 30 years, I have no way of knowing the original dates and purchase price, so everything is based on that date a few years ago - which gives me a profit on the stock.   But thank you so very much - hopefully this will all make sense when I sit down with it!  Your help is much appreciated!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies