turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When will i be asked about my business income. i have my own business and rental property, stocks and dividend income which turbo tax package is right for me

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When will i be asked about my business income. i have my own business and rental property, stocks and dividend income which turbo tax package is right for me

IF you have your own business, operated as a sole proprietor or independent contractor, AND you want to use the online version of TurboTax THEN you must move all the way up to the Self Employed version. 

I don't use online TurboTax but I've certainly used the desktop "Home & Business" version so, broadly speaking, the program makes a distinction, (that really doesn't exist), between "Personal" income - wages, interest, dividends, etc. - and "Business" income from your sole proprietorship/independent contractor activities and has "tabs" at the top of the screen where you select between the two.  I understand that some changes have been made to the online "Home & Business" product - the new "Self Employed" - interviews, but the programs are exactly the same from the standpoint of being able to prepare Schedule C and all the other elements that go into making up your Form 1040.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

1 Reply

IF you have your own business, operated as a sole proprietor or independent contractor, AND you want to use the online version of TurboTax THEN you must move all the way up to the Self Employed version. 

I don't use online TurboTax but I've certainly used the desktop "Home & Business" version so, broadly speaking, the program makes a distinction, (that really doesn't exist), between "Personal" income - wages, interest, dividends, etc. - and "Business" income from your sole proprietorship/independent contractor activities and has "tabs" at the top of the screen where you select between the two.  I understand that some changes have been made to the online "Home & Business" product - the new "Self Employed" - interviews, but the programs are exactly the same from the standpoint of being able to prepare Schedule C and all the other elements that go into making up your Form 1040.

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies