turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When is tax payable on Unrecaptured Section 1250 Gain after sale of rental property?

I recently sold a rental property (used as primary residence for 3 of last 5 years and rented out for 2 years). There is no capital gains tax since the capital gain was less than 500k, but I understand I owe tax on the Unrecaptured Section 1250 Gain (since I claimed depreciation on the property for the last 2 years). Do I need to pay that tax when I file my tax returns, or should I pay it this quarter in advance?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When is tax payable on Unrecaptured Section 1250 Gain after sale of rental property?

TurboTax will calculate the unrecaptured Section 1250 gain for you. That portion of the gain is taxed at ordinary income tax rates up to a maximum of 25%.

You can make an estimated payment (or payments), but you can avoid a penalty if you do not make estimated payments if:

• Your filed tax return shows you owe less than $1,000 or
  • You paid at least 90% of the tax shown on the return for the taxable year or 100% of the tax shown on the return for the prior year (110% of prior year tax if the prior year's AGI was over $150.000), whichever amount is less.

See https://www.irs.gov/payments/underpayment-of-estimated-tax-by-individuals-penalty

View solution in original post

3 Replies

TurboTax will calculate the unrecaptured Section 1250 gain for you. That portion of the gain is taxed at ordinary income tax rates up to a maximum of 25%.

You can make an estimated payment (or payments), but you can avoid a penalty if you do not make estimated payments if:

• Your filed tax return shows you owe less than $1,000 or
  • You paid at least 90% of the tax shown on the return for the taxable year or 100% of the tax shown on the return for the prior year (110% of prior year tax if the prior year's AGI was over $150.000), whichever amount is less.

See https://www.irs.gov/payments/underpayment-of-estimated-tax-by-individuals-penalty

@tagteam that would be 110% of prior year tax if the taxpayer's prior year's AGI was over $150.000

@Mike9241 wrote:

@tagteam that would be 110% of prior year tax if the taxpayer's prior year's AGI was over $150.000

Exactly and I edited my post to reflect that (thank you). I have no idea why the IRS web site does not include that little factoid.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies