turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When depreciating assets for a rental, why isn't depreciated amount = BasisForDepreciation / RecoveryPeriod? $2395 for 5 yr HY 200DB = $479, TurboTax calculated $766?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
hhtaub

When depreciating assets for a rental, why isn't depreciated amount = BasisForDepreciation / RecoveryPeriod? $2395 for 5 yr HY 200DB = $479, TurboTax calculated $766?

Since you are using a 200% declining balance depreciation, you have to multiply the straight line depreciation you calculated by 2 which would give you $958.  However, you didn't own the asset the entire year.  My guess is that you bought it in March 2018.  Turbotax assumes it was bought in the middle of the month and pro-rates the depreciation by the number of days you actually owned the asset.  There are 292 days between March 15th and the end of 2018, so if you multiply $958 by 292/365 you get $766.40.  I hope that is clear enough.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
hhtaub

Since you are using a 200% declining balance depreciation, you have to multiply the straight line depreciation you calculated by 2 which would give you $958.  However, you didn't own the asset the entire year.  My guess is that you bought it in March 2018.  Turbotax assumes it was bought in the middle of the month and pro-rates the depreciation by the number of days you actually owned the asset.  There are 292 days between March 15th and the end of 2018, so if you multiply $958 by 292/365 you get $766.40.  I hope that is clear enough.

Thanks hhtaub .. I have a better understanding of depreciation calculations
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies