Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What should be reported for Code Z on box 20 of K-1 schedule?

TT asked me to enter the value of Code Z (section 199A information). The K-1 form I received shows 'STMT' on Code Z value. I am not sure what it means, but it came with 'Partner's Section 199A information worksheet' for Code Z. See the attache screenshot. Should I just enter $600 (Net rental real estate income) for Code Z? or $2,539 ($600 + $1,939 qualified property) for Code Z?

1.jpg2.jpg

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

8 Replies

Enter the total and then enter the individual figures in the subsequent 199A screen.

19.png

What if the CPA who prepared the K-1 schedule said the corporate rental income is not eligible to get QBI deduction. Should I still enter the total figure for Code Z?

What I found is if I enter total figure on Code Z, TT automatically apply QBI deduction for me.

@manbeing Typically, the deduction is applicable at the shareholder level.

See https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-cuts-and-jobs-act-provision-11011-section-199a-qualified-business-i...

What did you end up doing? Did you simply add up the amounts, and enter that for K1 Box 20 Code Z?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Please see this answer from KathrynG:

Re: K-1 box 20 z

Revisit your partnership interview.

For Box 20 Item Z: the 2019 IRS Instructions for Form 1065 Partnerships states: 

• page 1: "Box 20—Codes Z through AD that were previously used to report section 199A information have been changed. Only code Z will be used to report section 199A information."
  • page 47: "Partnerships should use Statement A—QBI Pass-Through Entity Reporting, or a substantially similar statement, to report information for each partner’s distributive share from each trade or business, including QBI items, W-2 wages, UBIA of qualified property, qualified PTP items, and section 199A dividends by attaching the completed statement(s) to each partner’s Schedule K-1. The partnership should also use Statement A to report each partner’s distributive share of QBI items, W-2 wages, UBIA of qualified property, qualified PTP items, and section 199A dividends reported to the partnership by another entity.

Please see screenshots below. You will be asked a series of questions that you can answer based on the Schedule K-1 you received. There should be a statement attached that will provide you with the information you need to answer the questions.

Thank you. That subsequent 199A screen did not pop up for me. How did you get there?

Yay, I found it. You have to enter a dollar amount in the first box to get it to open up a 199A detail screen a few clicks later.

Jilin2020

Dear Haleika,

Thanks for your help. Is it possible to call me when you are available? I have more question with my tax return.

Hongying Zhang

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies