turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

richb987

Turbotax is telling me I have to file a Schedule D. I have no capital gains this year. The standard deduction reduces my taxable income to zero. Looks like a software bug

I have a prior year loss carryover, but do not need to apply that since the SD wipes out my income. Bug?!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Turbotax is telling me I have to file a Schedule D. I have no capital gains this year. The standard deduction reduces my taxable income to zero. Looks like a software bug

TurboTax is going to generate a Schedule D if you have a capital loss carryover from the previous year, regardless. 

you have to keep your carryforward losses current by sending in Schedule D every year.

M144
Level 1

I have the same problem.  Turbotax says I have a capital loss to carry over, but I have sold no capital assets.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The champs are correct. You must file the sch D each year regardless of using or not using your loss. You want to continue to carry it over.

@M144

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies