Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax May Be Making Mathematical Errors!

I typed into Turbo Tax Premier that at one brokerage I have a long-term, non-covered net gain of $8218.24 and a long-term, covered net loss of -$867.18;  at another brokerage I have a long term, covered net gain of $14,104.43.  This should result in a total long term gain of $21,455.49.  However, when Turbo Tax summarizes my 2022 total gains/losses at a later point (when asking me to estimate future gains/losses), it lists my total long-term capital gain as $28,151.  This is $6695.51 more than what it really is.  (Note:  the total short term loss was calculated correctly.)  Please, what should I do?  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Did you have any capital gains distributions reported on forms 1099-DIV?  Those show up as long term capital gains, too.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Did you have any capital gains distributions reported on forms 1099-DIV?  Those show up as long term capital gains, too.

Thank you, thank you, thank you hbl3973!!!!!  That is the answer!  My capital gains distributions explain the difference in amounts.  This is a big relief to me as I imagined the error carrying over to my tax calculation, not to mention my having a sudden distrust in Turbotax worthiness.

A very appreciated reply, hbl3973.

You're quite welcome.  Be assured you are not the first nor will be the last with this question!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies