turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I rent an apt and have subleased all my apt for more than 14 days, under what expense can I enter MY rent expense?

I used Airbnb and my income from sublease didn't cover the rent. Can that be filed as a loss?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
NancyG

I rent an apt and have subleased all my apt for more than 14 days, under what expense can I enter MY rent expense?

The rent you pay for your apartment will be rent expense on your IRS Schedule E reporting the rental income.  You must prorate the rent expense for the number of days you sublet the property. The following information will provide more information when renting your property using Airbnb.

Renting Out a Room on Airbnb or FlipKey - How Much You Owe in Taxes

Renting for 15-days or more changes everything

Step over the annual 14-day limit, even by one day, and you'll be in completely different tax territory. The Masters exemption disappears, and rental income — including the amount you made in the first 14 days — becomes taxable. Your tax rate will vary depending on the total amount of income you report on your state and federal tax returns.

The bright side is that you can deduct 100% of direct rental expenses from the short-term rental income, including:

• Rental agency fees
  • Credit checks
  • Cleaning expenses

Other expenses, like mortgage interest and property taxes, must be split up between personal and business use of your residence.

Note, that the money you make from short-term vacation rentals is considered rental income for tax purposes even if you are a  renter  yourself and don't own the property.

Some cities and states charge occupancy taxes on short-term rentals. Although the guest usually owes the amount of this local tax, you, as the host, may have to collect and pay it. Sometimes the rental company collects and pays the local tax for you.

Additional Resources:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies