turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My mom has a broker account and is under her ssn. I want to sell the stocks but the proceeds will go into my checking account, because I manage her money.Bad idea?

I know the sale needs to be under her ssn and it will, but I'm worried about any other tax implcations if the proceeds go to my account.  I manage her money and move money to her checking account from mine.

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My mom has a broker account and is under her ssn. I want to sell the stocks but the proceeds will go into my checking account, because I manage her money.Bad idea?

It should not be a problem taxwise, unless your Mother claims that she did not authorize this.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

It should not be a problem taxwise, unless your Mother claims that she did not authorize this.

The proceeds don't go into your account they go into your mom's broker settlement account.
If you have access to withdraw cash, that has nothing to do with stocks transactions in her account.

thank you very much, it's a strange account in a broker call computershare...they don't hold cash and your account is tied directly to one stock.  Proceeds go directly into a checking account...i was wondering if the gift tax may affect tax implications?  it's over 14k...

Just because money flows through your account, that doesn't make it a gift to you.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies