Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The cost basis on my 1099B differs from what is on the supplemental stock plan lot detail

The cost basis on my 1099B differs from what is on the supplemental stock plan lot detail for stock I sold from an employee stock plan.  My realized gain on my 1099b is $2480.08 but on my Supplemental, I have a realized loss of -$61.37 because on the Supplemental, my Adjusted cost/basis is higher.  How do I account for this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmandaR1

The cost basis on my 1099B differs from what is on the supplemental stock plan lot detail

To enter your corrected cost basis, in the investment section for 1099-B: 

1. Select to enter your information by transaction. 
  2. On the next screen, you'll enter boxes 1a-1e. 
  3. Directly below these boxes, click the blue button to enter additional Info about this sale, "I'll enter additional info on my own."  
  4. On the next screen, you'll have the option to enter corrected cost basis which is where you can enter your correct amount. 

Employee stock options get complicated and often your broker does not have information about your W-2 income when the options vest. I'd recommend being sure you understand how the cost basis is calculated so you know it's correct. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AmandaR1

To enter your corrected cost basis, in the investment section for 1099-B: 

1. Select to enter your information by transaction. 
  2. On the next screen, you'll enter boxes 1a-1e. 
  3. Directly below these boxes, click the blue button to enter additional Info about this sale, "I'll enter additional info on my own."  
  4. On the next screen, you'll have the option to enter corrected cost basis which is where you can enter your correct amount. 

Employee stock options get complicated and often your broker does not have information about your W-2 income when the options vest. I'd recommend being sure you understand how the cost basis is calculated so you know it's correct. 

Thank you for posting this activity.  I must be missing something because my situation is identical to the original person posting their question, but I can't seem to find the "enter additional information on my own" in the transaction area.  Do I need to delete the transaction and start over?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

1.  "Edit" the sale in the "Stock..." interview

2.  Review the descriptions and entries for boxes 1a-1e

3.  After box "1e" you will see an option about the "Cost basis being incorrect or missing" 

4.  "Select" that box

5.  The next page gives you three options.

6.  If you know the cost basis, select option 2 and enter the correct basis.

7.  The next page will show you the result.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@dylanschulz411  the small loss of 61 is what you want to report on your Schedule D 8949.

tom888

My 1099B form indicate the cost basis is 0, but the correct cost basis in located in the supplementary section of the 1099B form.  The option to edit my RSU under "cost basis on my statement is incorrect" appears to be only available when I select "this is not employee stock" .  What is the correct way of entering in the cost basis?

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

What version of TurboTax are you using?

@tom888

tom888

It is 2021 Turbo Tax Premier Desktop version

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

Actually, continue to select this is stock acquired through an employee stock plan.  If you have to make an adjustment to cost basis, TurboTax instructions provide that your corrected basis is done on the screen asking about adjustments.  

The screen where you will enter your adjustment is Select any less common adjustments that apply and you will check the last box on that list.  Select Learn More to get a better understanding of whether you should enter a positive or negative amount.

@tom888

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies