turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

oldgray
Returning Member

Unable to complete my 1041 for 2016 the capital gains were only distributions from mutual funds but the worksheet assumes stock sales how do I handle?

I am using turbotax business for 2016.  On schedule d I am stuck as the program assumes a stock sale but these gains are from mutual fund distributions.  How do I handle this?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Unable to complete my 1041 for 2016 the capital gains were only distributions from mutual funds but the worksheet assumes stock sales how do I handle?

If you only had capital gains distributions from mutual funds (such as would be shown on a 1099-DIV), and no other investment sales, then do the following:

1) Click the Federal Taxes tab, click Income, and then click the Start (or Update) button. [see first screenshot]

2) Click the Delete button to the right of Institution Name and then click the Done button [see second screenshot]

3) Enter Forms Mode by clicking the Forms icon in the upper right side of the screen, locate the Capital Gains and Losses Smart Worksheet on Schedule D, uncheck relevant boxes and clear any information that might have been entered on the worksheet. [see third screenshot]

View solution in original post

4 Replies

This is a public internet forum.

If you only had capital gains distributions from mutual funds (such as would be shown on a 1099-DIV), and no other investment sales, then do the following:

1) Click the Federal Taxes tab, click Income, and then click the Start (or Update) button. [see first screenshot]

2) Click the Delete button to the right of Institution Name and then click the Done button [see second screenshot]

3) Enter Forms Mode by clicking the Forms icon in the upper right side of the screen, locate the Capital Gains and Losses Smart Worksheet on Schedule D, uncheck relevant boxes and clear any information that might have been entered on the worksheet. [see third screenshot]

Keep in mind that the 2016 forms are still in their infancy.

That is absolutely correct; the 2016 forms are not yet ready to be filed. Regardless, the situation in this instance was almost certainly caused by an operational error, which should be rectified by following the foregoing instructions.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies