turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tell us more about your exempt-interest dividend

tell us about your exempt-interest dividends:

I earned exempt-interest dividends in only one state.

I earned exempt-interest dividends in more than one state.

Vanguard 1099 Div  does not indicate a State

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

As SteamTrain and Hal_Al address in their answers, the information on where to obtain the state information should be available through your broker and they provide additional details on allocation if you can obtain that information.   

Here is a TurboTax help article related to how to allocate "unearned income" such as dividends:  Allocating Income

Edited (KarenM90, 2/10/2020 8:13 pm)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Go to the state selection list of the first choice  , and go to the very bottom of the list of states and select "More than one state".  (yeah, that isn't "one" state...poor text choice by the programmers)

The checkbox by " I earned exempt-interest dividends in more than one state"  is only used if you can break out just the interest that came from your own state's bonds....and you also live in an income-taxing state

(but not CA, or MN, or IL....CA and MN have special rules, IL doesn't allow a breakout at all, and you must select  "More than one state" for all of box 11)

Example:  If box 11 of the 1099-DIV is $1000, came from just ONE Mutual fund, and vanguard's documents (they publish elsewhere) indicates that 2% came from my own state's bonds. then I could break out that $20 from the rest of the Interest, and save myself 1 in my state taxes (5% of $20).  IF multiple funds contributed to box 11 of the -DIV, it get messy, and you have to calculate the amount for each one..

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies