Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sweet Equity

I received Sweet Equity stock, which are similar to Restricted stock units last year and filed to file a timely 83b election. I believe I need to include the fair market value of the vested shares in my taxable income. Should me employer have included the fair market value of the vested shares in my W-2?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Sweet Equity

Yes, you should have informed the employer of the 83(b) election you made to allow the employer of pay social security and Medicare taxes on the value of the shares on the date of your election. Your employer should then have reported the value of the shares as wage income in box 1 of your W-2 form and social security and Medicare income in boxes 3 and 5 with the applicable taxes paid in boxes 4 and 6.

If your employer didn't report the income on your W-2 form, you can do that in the Other Common Income section of TurboTax. Choose the Miscellaneous Income option, then choose Other income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099. It will appear as wage income on your tax return and the applicable social security and Medicare taxes will be included as well.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies