Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Summary sale for all Box D sales on 1099-B description wrong

I entered a summary sale for all Box D items from the 1099-B for a brokerage and the description becomes "Brokerage_name - See Attached Statement".   No attached statement is required by these transactions, as per help documents.  TT Premier Windows

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@mtfarley1 , if you are talking about " no need to report on form 8949" for all transactions marked with Box D checked, yes  you are right per the instructions  on form 8949:

Part II

Long-Term. Transactions involving capital assets you held more than 1 year are generally long-term (see
instructions). For short-term transactions, see page 1.
Note: You may aggregate all long-term transactions reported on Form(s) 1099-B showing basis was reported
to the IRS and for which no adjustments or codes are required. Enter the totals directly on Schedule D, line
8a; you aren’t required to report these transactions on Form 8949 (see instructions).

So you are saying that you are following these instructions and reporting the totals only from 1099-B to schedule-D directly but you get a note from TurboTax asking for attachment -- is that it?

perhaps you should ignore this ; in the meantime I will try and duplicate the issue  on my copy of  Home and Business 2021, windows version.  If I can duplicate the error, I will bring it forward your message to  our leads/ admin for further action.

pk

PK,

Only the Description has the attachment comment, at the bottom of the screen it does have "Good news...you don't have to have the statement attached", which I noticed after posting my original note.  I believe ignoring the Description is the proper thing to do, but it is misleading.   Thanks for the prompt reply.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies