Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jorgeamp

Stopped rented my vacation home

I stop used my rental property in 2015; so 2016 and future years I used and plan to used as a vacation home only... this is a change related to my last year declaration.  I need to declare that? And how?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Stopped rented my vacation home

If you did not do so on your 2015 tax return, you need to show that you converted the rental property to personal use. 

This will stop the depreciation of the property.  You will also need to go through all depreciating assets to show that they have also stopped being used for business purposes.  If you did not do this on your 2015 tax return, you can show it on your 2016 tax return by making the change as of 1/1/2016.

There is a check-box in the rental section of your return to indicate that you have converted the rental property to personal use during 2016. 

When you go to your rental section of the return, Edit your property information.  Then Edit the Property Profile.  Move forward through the screens until you reach the one with the title, “Do Any of These Situations Apply to this Property?”  Find the check box under Converted for I Converted this property from a rental to personal use in 2016.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies