Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct California taxes which are paid only because of rental property there. I live in a different state. Can I deduct these taxes as expenses on my federal taxes?

I own one rental property in California. Because of this income, California state taxes are paid.  In my view, these taxes are an expense related to this rental property.  Can these taxes be expensed on my federal income taxes along with the other expenses for that property?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I deduct California taxes which are paid only because of rental property there. I live in a different state. Can I deduct these taxes as expenses on my federal taxes?

State or local property taxes are an allowable expense for a rental property.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

State or local property taxes are an allowable expense for a rental property.

This is good info, however my question really is about the State Income Tax which is due as a result of the rental.  If there was no rental property, there would be no reason for state income taxes. The property taxes are a known expense for the rental.  Thank you.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies