turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jdbigham

Sold physical silver that I held as an investment as a loss, long term. How do I get the $3000 deduction for the long term capital loss. It was a $21k loss

I can't seem to get turbotax to show it as a long term loss. When I put the amounts where needed, it shows a long term capital gain. But I sold it at a loss of $21k
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM

Sold physical silver that I held as an investment as a loss, long term. How do I get the $3000 deduction for the long term capital loss. It was a $21k loss

If it's showing as a $21k gain instead of loss, then it sounds like maybe you've got the net proceeds and cost basis turned around.

Re-visit the input screen and double-check which amounts are entered in which boxes.  You'll be asked for the proceeds and date of sale on one screen, then the "Cost or Other Basis" and date of purchase on a later screen.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasM

If it's showing as a $21k gain instead of loss, then it sounds like maybe you've got the net proceeds and cost basis turned around.

Re-visit the input screen and double-check which amounts are entered in which boxes.  You'll be asked for the proceeds and date of sale on one screen, then the "Cost or Other Basis" and date of purchase on a later screen.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies