Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zhijlu

Sold a rental house and got two 1099-S forms (only half was on my name). how to file?

I paid for the house, been file and pay tax for the house and received all the money from sailing the house. The closing house insisted issue two checks with 2 1099-5 forms with 50-50 split with my son, since his name was on the title.
How would I file?  Put in the whole sale price, or only 50% and ask my son to file the 1099-S?
I called IRS help line but they do not have an answer.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Ashby

Sold a rental house and got two 1099-S forms (only half was on my name). how to file?

Yes, unfortunately, you will have to split the sale with your son. Each of you will have to split proceeds, expenses of sale, and basis 50/50. Then, you just have to work out the tax consequences among the two of you. It's a pain, but really the only way it can be done. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Ashby

Yes, unfortunately, you will have to split the sale with your son. Each of you will have to split proceeds, expenses of sale, and basis 50/50. Then, you just have to work out the tax consequences among the two of you. It's a pain, but really the only way it can be done. 

zhijlu

I will file 50/50, but it will not technically correct.  My son will enter 50% of the depreciation amount accumulated during the past years, but in reality, they were all claimed in my tax returns.  If I claim all the depreciation amount on my return, hes will shown a much bigger lose. Which way should I go?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies