Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sunilm18

Should I select the option 'I received cash in Lieu of fractional shares' for Box 'How did you receive this investment' in form 1099B for stock spin-off distribution?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Should I select the option 'I received cash in Lieu of fractional shares' for Box 'How did you receive this investment' in form 1099B for stock spin-off distribution?

If indeed that's the case - a stock you owned spun off another company, issued you whole shares and did a CIL for the fraction of a share that you should have received - then that sounds fine to me.

hpmjcurry

That is a great answer but that selection is not offered as an option in my version of TurboTax.  It is part of the info section but not offered in the selection box so WHAT NOW?  🙂

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

If the cash in lieu of shares was reported as Other Information (not on Form 1099-B), enter this as "not reported on Form 1099-B."  Your answer for "How did you receive this investment?" is that you purchased it.

If you do enter as reported on the 1099-B then check the box for "basis missing..."

@hpmjcurry 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies