turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sale of inherited land between siblings

Father passed away 9-22-2012. He had no will. Mother quick claimed her interest to the 4 siblings in 2015. The land mkt value on TN property data website shows $13,300. On 3-28-2016 the land was sold and one half of the proceeds went to our father's brother and the other half was split between myself and my 3 siblings. We each made $6062.50. When I enter the market value and the amount I made from the sale, it shows a loss. Just want to make sure we are entering this correctly.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyT

When you report your basis in the property, you will not report the full amount.

The basis of the total property is $13,300.  The basis in your "portion" of the property is 1/8 of $13,300 or $1,662.50. (1/2 of the basis is claimed by your uncle, and the other 1/2 of the basis is split in 4 between you and your siblings).

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AmyT

When you report your basis in the property, you will not report the full amount.

The basis of the total property is $13,300.  The basis in your "portion" of the property is 1/8 of $13,300 or $1,662.50. (1/2 of the basis is claimed by your uncle, and the other 1/2 of the basis is split in 4 between you and your siblings).

What happens if the proceeds are NOT distributed evenly? If one sibling gets $10K, another $4K, and another $2.5K, are their gains taxed accordingly or evenly, (which would be unfair)?
butchis83

What Form or Section of turbotax Premier do I use. 

KATHREENM

WHERE DO I REPORT WILLED PRPERTY SALE

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies